State Lobby Day is almost here! These are the issues that we will be discussing with our lawmakers.
We will have two asks this year, and have included talking points for each issue below. We know that State Lobby Day this year will be as successful as all of our other years, and we cannot wait for our advocates to join us!
Ask One: Support HB 250/SB 296: Healthy Food Small Retailer/Corner Store Act with full funding
- North Carolina has at least 349 food deserts across 80 counties, impacting over 1.5 million North Carolina residents in both rural and urban areas.
- Communities without access to healthy foods are disproportionately impacted by diet-related diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and cancer.
- Without easy access to healthy ingredients, families have a harder time meeting dietary guidelines for good health, such as eating fruits and vegetables and lowering fat intake.
- North Carolinians across the state overwhelmingly support this effort: A recent poll found over 70% of registered voters support a state-funded Healthy Corner Store Initiative. After learning more information, support rose to 76%.
- A healthy corner store initiative would: help make healthier food options more accessible, provide small business owners with marketing and technical assistance to stock and sell healthy foods, and create new markets for farmers and fisherman.
Ask Two: Support increasing access to health care
- Heart disease is the second and stroke the fourth leading cause of death in North Carolina.
- Of adults (aged 18-64) who report having heart disease, hypertension or stroke, approximately 15% are uninsured.
- Nearly half of the uninsured with cardiovascular disease cite cost as the reason they lack coverage; 36% cite a lost job or new employer.
- The uninsured also report being unable to afford prescription drugs nearly four times more often than those who are insured (43% versus 11%).
- Providing health insurance coverage will help people gain access to the care they need, which improves health outcomes.