LIFE is why our Iowa You’re the Cure advocates give their time and talent to help build a healthier world, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. We exercise our voices and work together to advocate for heart-healthy and stroke-smart communities through legislative policies in our cities, states and across the country.
Have you ever wondered how you can help in your local community? Whatever your interests and availability, we can find a flexible, rewarding volunteer opportunity that’s right for you!
The Heart Walk is the American Heart Association's premiere event for raising funds to save lives from this country's No. 1 and No. 5 killers - heart disease and stroke. Designed to promote physical activity and heart-healthy living, the Heart Walk creates an environment that's fun and rewarding for the entire family. Your participation will help us raise even more in our fight to save lives. Walk with fellow You’re the Cure advocates, friends, family, coworkers or strangers you'll bond with along the way. Any way you choose to do it, your heart will thank you for it!
Start a team by reaching out to your Heart Walk Director today!
- Dubuque Heart Walk - Saturday, May 7, 2016 - send an email to Cathy Brandt
- Iowa City Heart Walk - Saturday, May 7, 2016 - send an email to Michelle Catlett
- Cedar Valley Heart Walk - Saturday, May 21, 2016 - send an email to Cathy Brandt
- Quad Cities Heart Walk - Saturday, May 21, 2016 - send an email to Alex Sheffler
- Des Moines Heart Walk - Summer of 2016 - send an email to Kim Olmstead
- Cedar Rapids Heart Walk – Summer of 2016 - send an email to Michelle Catlett
Premier society events, the Heart Ball is a celebration of the life-saving work of the American Heart Association. The event brings together the area’s most prominent medical, corporate and community leaders. Last year, the Heart Balls and Gala raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in Iowa to support our mission of building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
- Cedar Rapids “Hearti Gras” Heart Ball - Saturday, February 27, 2016 - send an email to Aileen Black
- Des Moines Heart Ball – Saturday, February 27, 2016 - send an email to Kimberly Hanken
- Quad Cities Heart Ball - Saturday, April 16, 2016 - send an email to Michelle Gitzen
- Iowa City Heart of Gold Gala - Friday, April 22, 2016 - send an email to Jamie Jensen
Go Red For Women Luncheon
Lunch and Learn! Go Red For Women Luncheons are wonderful social events where women dedicated to making an impact in their community come together to raise awareness, educate and fundraise. Contact your local office to find out how you can participate.
- Des Moines Go Red For Dinner- Thursday, September 17, 2015 - send an email to Juliette Olejnik
- Quad Cities Go Red for Women - Wednesday, November 4, 2015 - send an email to Michelle Gitzen
- Cedar Valley Go Red for Women - Friday, November 6, 2015 - send an email to Cathy Brandt
- Iowa City Go Red for Women - Thursday, November 12, 2015 - send an email to Jamie Jensen
- Cedar Rapids Go Red for Women - Friday, November 20, 2015 - send an email to Aileen Black
- Ames Go Red For Women – Friday, April 22, 2016 – send an email to Juliette Olejnik