We do everything we can to protect our loved ones, especially children, from the harms of tobacco and nicotine. But unfortunately, we know many kids face real pressure to pick up this deadly habit.
hero_image_alt_text===Youth and Tobacco: A new crisis
thumbnail_alt_text===Youth and Tobacco: A new crisis
For instance, did you know that:
- 1 in 5 high school students are trying e-cigarettes?
- 90 percent of smokers first try a tobacco product by age 18?
- more young adults are using e-cigarettes, and more often?
- many adolescents falsely believe that new tobacco products, such as e-cigarettes, are safe?
That is why we are thrilled to share that the American Heart Association is working toward the goal of ending all tobacco and nicotine addiction in the US – something we are calling the tobacco endgame.
How will we achieve the tobacco endgame? First, by reducing the use of cigarettes, cigars, and cigarillos, while also ensuring that newer products, such as e-cigarettes, do not addict the next generation of youth.
Whether it’s eliminating flavors that appeal to our kids, ending marketing efforts targeting youth, increasing the cost of tobacco products, or other policies, reaching the tobacco endgame will save millions of lives.
But we need your help to achieve this bold vision! Here are three easy ways you can join us!
- Take our pledge to join the tobacco endgame movement.
- Share our infographic with others so they can learn about the tobacco endgame.
- Go to www.heart.org/tobaccoendgame for more information.
Thank you for all you do and let’s end tobacco and nicotine use once-and-for-all!