newsletter state - UT
Utah 2020 Legislative Session Update
At the beginning of the 2020 legislative session, we shared with lawmakers and our volunteers the American Heart Association’s six key priorities to addressing the youth vaping epidemic. Those priorities did not change, and we have included them below as a reminder:
- Tax e-cigarettes and vaping products to ensure they are treated like all other tobacco products.
- Bring Utah’s Tobacco 21 laws into conformity with the new Federal Law
- Remove all characterizing flavors from the marketplace for all tobacco products; including e-cigarettes, traditional cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, hookah, smokeless and others.
- Remove current restrictions in state code so local communities can find their own solutions to keep tobacco away from kids.
- Enhance current definitions in state code for smoking, e-cigarettes, Retail Tobacco Specialty Stores, and more.
- Strengthen current restrictions on internet sales of tobacco products and assign enforcement.