Thanks to board member Jennifer Nachbur and Advocacy Committee member Lana Khuong for promoting strong nutrition standards in schools. Both volunteers met with U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy’s staff during the August recess to encourage the senator’s continued support of the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act.
Senator Leahy is a sponsor of the legislation. Since becoming law in December 2010, it has given America’s children access to healthier food options for breakfast, lunch, and throughout the school day. 97% of schools and diverse communities across the country are meeting the requirements and ensuring their students are getting a head start on a healthy lifestyle.
- 92.7% of school districts are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards
- The current obesity rate of 10-17 year olds is 11.3%
- 47% of districts need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school
- 50,500 students participated in school lunch program in 2014
- 22,969 students participated in school breakfast program in 2014