The arrival of summer means days at the pool, family barbeques, picnics, sports and other outdoor activities. Below are a few tips that you can use this summer to keep your whole family happy and healthy.
Staying active in the summer months
- Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and even after physical activity.
- Protect your family from the sun.
- Try to avoid intense physical activity during the hottest parts of the day (between noon to 3pm).
- Dress for the heat.
- Head indoors when the heat becomes unbearable. There are plenty of indoor activities that can keep you active on the hottest days.
Heart-Healthy Cookout Ideas
- Go fish!
- Make a better burger by purchasing leaner meat and adding delicious veggies.
- Replace your traditional greasy fries with some heart healthy baked fries.
- Veggie kabobs are a fun and healthy addition to your family barbeque.
- Try grilled corn on the cob.
Healthy Road Trip
- Make “rest breaks” active.
- Pack healthy snacks to avoid the unhealthy foods at rest stops along your way.
- Pack to play to continue your regular physical activity.
- Reach for water instead of being tempted by sugary drinks.
Summer Snack Ideas
- Homemade freezer fruit pops are an easy and fun treat for the whole family.
- Keep your veggies cool and crisp during the summer months and they becoming a refreshing treat.
- Fruit smoothies area a healthy way to cool yourself down on a hot summer day.
- Mix up your own trail mix to take on all of your summer adventures.
- Just slice and serve all the delicious fruits that are in season during the summer months.