Guest Blogger: Violet Ruiz, Government Relations Director, Greater Los Angeles
The relatives have gone home, and the last holiday meal has been prepared and eaten. Now it’s time to pursue your new year’s resolution by sustaining a heart healthy lifestyle in 2015! After the wonderful holiday season filled with pies, cookies, and tarts you might find it difficult to enjoy healthier desert options. Keep in mind that heart healthy recipes do not compromise on taste or enjoyment. When your sweet tooth strikes, try our simple but indulgent-tasting banana split recipe.
4 Servings- $1.24 per serving
- 2 6- oz. packaged, fat-free pineapple yogurt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries OR
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 large banana (about 1 cup sliced)
- ¼ cup low-fat granola (4 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp. hot water
- To assemble parfaits, in a small dish, layer about 1/3 cup yogurt, ¼ cup sliced strawberries, ¼ cup sliced bananas and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granola.
- In small cup, stir together cocoa, confectioner’s sugar and hot water until smooth. Drizzle 1 teaspoon over each parfait.
- Calories Per Serving: 157
- Total Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 75mg
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 25g
- Protein: 6g
- Keep it healthy: Yogurt can be a delicious, healthier substitute for ice cream or whipped cream in any recipe.
- Instead of fresh berries you can substitute 1 cup frozen mixed berries, thawed.
- Substitute any flavor of nonfat yogurt you enjoy
- For additional heart-healthy recipes please visit here.