The RI Advocacy Committee has approved an ambitious agenda for 2016 and we’ll need the help of You’re the Cure advocates like you to achieve our goals!
Policy priorities include:
- Ensure that Rhode Island’s school nutrition policies/requirements are consistent with beverage and snack guidelines in the USDA Interim Final Rule Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in Schools.
- Eliminate the advertising and marketing of unhealthy foods and beverages in schools.
- Enact food and beverage vending standards for state property consistent with those developed by the American Heart Association, or by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/General Services Administration or the National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity.
- Ensure that schools are providing quality physical education by increasing accountability and reporting.
- Secure state funding to assist with implementation of Rhode Island’s CPR in Schools Law that requires all high school students to receive hands-on CPR training and an overview of AED use prior to graduation as part of the health education curriculum.
- Increase state funding for evidence-based tobacco prevention and cessation programs that help smokers quit and prevent kids from ever starting this deadly habit.
Thank you for your continued support and advocacy! As we head into the 2016 Legislative Session, please be sure to update your profile in You’re the Cure to make certain you receive alerts on the issues that are important to you. If you would like to get more involved in our advocacy efforts, please contact Megan Tucker, Director of Government Relations for Rhode Island at [email protected].