The Rhode Island Advocacy Committee recently elected a new leadership team and put the finishing touches on our 2015 Policy Agenda. We are excited to share that Dr. Steven Fera (right) and John Potvin EMT-C (left) will help lead our advocacy efforts for the next two years as chair and vice chair, respectively. We are in excellent hands as both Dr. Fera and John are seasoned advocates who have spent a lot of time at the State House.
The RI Advocacy Committee approved an ambitious agenda for 2015 and we’ll need the help of You’re the Cure advocates like you to achieve our goals! Policy priorities include:
- Ensuring that Rhode Island Nutrition Requirements (RINR) are aligned with new USDA standards for snacks and beverages sold in schools, maintaining areas where RINR is stronger than USDA;
- Eliminating unhealthy food and beverage marketing in schools;
- Securing state funding to purchase new CPR manikins for high schools to help implement the 2013 CPR in Schools Law and ensure quality training for all students;
- Ensuring that all newborns receive a pulse oximetry test to screen for critical congenital heart defects;
- Updating the Stroke Prevention and Treatment Act of 2009 to reflect new national recommendations and the tremendous progress that has been made in RI; and
- Protecting kids from Big Tobacco and helping current smokers quit for good by increasing the cigarette tax and adequately funding prevention and cessation programs.
Thank you for your continued support and advocacy! As we head into the 2015 Legislative Session, please be sure to update your profile in You’re the Cure to make certain you receive alerts on the issues that are important to you. If you would like to get more involved in our advocacy efforts, please contact Megan Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org.