National Wear Red Day is Friday, February 6, 2015, but heart disease kills 1 in 3 women year-round. That's why we want to say thank you for helping raise awareness no matter what time of the year. To get started, we have created free materials that you can print on your home or office printer. It's easy to get started! CLICK HERE and Sign Up, then check your inbox for a confirmation email with a link to access the materials you will need to make your Wear Red Day a huge success.
In addition to National Wear Red Day, with February being Heart Month, there are opportunities to be involved and raise awareness all month long! Here is a quick look at some of the activities going on across the state:
- Thursday February 5 – Go Red Open House Kickoff Event downtown Sioux Falls at MESO, 220 S. Phillips Ave. 5:30-7:30
- Friday February 6 – STATEWIDE: GO RED!! Wear red, light up your home or business red, change marquees in support of going red, let’s bring awareness to heart disease and stroke – the #1 killer of South Dakotans and across the US
- February 14 - Sanford Heart Screenings will be present at the Watertown Farm and Home show
- Monday, February 16 - Heart Healthy month event at Calico Skies, 7pm Topic: Why wine can be good in a heart healthy diet (sponsored by Sanford Health)
- February 17th, 24th, March 3rd & 10th: 4 part cooking classes in Aberdeen, SD in partnership with Aberdeen Community Education. Feb 17th speaker will feature American Heart Association, Feb 24th will feature a local co-op, March 3rd, SD Pork Council and March 10th SD Beef Council (sponsored by Sanford Health)
- Friday February 20 – Go Red for Women Luncheon 11:30 a.m.- 1:00 pm at the Sioux Falls Convention Center. Tickets available online by visiting siouxfallsgoredforwomen.ahaevents.org or by calling 605.261.0829
- Friday, February 20 - Sanford Heart is sponsoring the Sioux Falls Skyforce game at 7:05
- Saturday, February 21 - Sioux Empire Mall event featuring Sanford Heart Screening, AHA, Stroke Team and a Mock STEMI event.
- Saturday, February 28 - Rapid City Heart Ball, Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, 5:00 p.m.
In addition, Avera will be raising awareness for Health Month by providing fun and educational activities with 4th and 5th graders from various SD communities. MEGA Heart will be on display along with heart models, listening to your heart, learning hands-only CPR and how too much sugar can turn into fat and damage your heart.
Finally, if you do ONE THING during the month of February to learn about Heart, learn how to do HANDS ONLY CPR. You never know when this skill might save a life.