Yes, we have a solution for Mississippi. As you know, tobacco usage not only impacts our physical health, but also the fiscal health of our state. By urging lawmakers to support a SIGNIFICANT increase to the state’s tobacco tax, we can improve the health of Mississippi.
Increasing Mississippi’s cigarette tax by $1.50 per pack would generate $166.8 million in much needed revenue for the state, as well as, [i]:
- Reduce youth smoking by 16.9%.
- Prevent 22,800 kids under 18 from becoming adult smokers.
- Help 26,500 current adult smokers quit.
- Prevent 14,000 premature smoking-caused deaths.
- Provide $1.01 billion in long-term health care cost savings from adult and youth smoking declines.
- Reduce the number of smoking-affected pregnancies by 3,500 over a five-year period.
Increasing tobacco taxes and investing in tobacco prevention makes dollars and sense.
We cannot ignore the cost that tobacco has on the state! NOW is the time to increase the state’s tobacco tax by $1.50 per pack.