Kathryn Rehner-Sullivan, Government Relations Director, and I are excited you plan to join us Wednesday, February 10th for the American Heart Association's 2021 Mississippi Digital Day of Action, when You're the Cure advocates across the state will email, tweet, and call their state lawmakers in support of two policy efforts that will help build a healthier Mississippi.
We hope this digital event empowers you to take part wherever you are, whether it's from your desk, couch, or on your lunch break, as we advocate together for policies that help all Mississippians lead healthier, longer lives. Contact us at [email protected] with questions.
On February 10, we'll ask legislators to help:
- Grow the Good (part of SB 2426) by funding SNAP incentives programs that provide matching dollars to participating retailers and farmers markets for SNAP recipients to purchase additional fresh fruits and vegetables. We're excited Sen. Nicole Boyd is championing the issue! This bill is waiting to be voted on by the Senate by the February 11th legislative deadline. Learn more about Grow the Good on our website.
- Put Water Within Reach (HB 925) by ensuring water bottle filling stations are placed in all newly constructed schools and schools undergoing major renovations ($100k+ worth), as well as allowing students to carry water bottle to schools. We're thrilled Rep. Kent McCarty is championing the issue! This bill is waiting to be voted on by the House by the February 11th legislative deadline. Learn more about Put Water Within Reach on our website.
We have activities planned from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. You're welcome to participate in any or all of it!
- 8:30 - 9:00 AM Digital Kick-off. Join us online to review the day's itinerary, discuss our two policy asks, and see how easy it will be to take action throughout the day, whether you're participating from work, your couch, or home office. Here's the meeting link!
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Take Action: Grow the Good. We'll send you a few emails during this time slot, providing you with links to easily email, tweet, and call your lawmakers in support of funding SNAP incentives programs. We'll also add some posts in our Facebook event page for you to share and tag your lawmakers!
- 12:00 - 1:00 PM Office Hours. Jump back online with us to share how your morning went (12 - 12:30) and to prepare for the afternoon's activities (12:30 - 1:00). Here's the meeting link!
- 1:00 - 4:00 PM Take Action: Put Water within Reach. We'll send you a few more emails, providing you with simple ways to email, tweet, and call your lawmakers in support of increasing water bottle filling stations in schools. We'll also add some posts in our Facebook event page for you to share and tag your lawmakers!
- 4:00 PM Thank You! We'll send you one final email thanking you for advocating alongside us.
Join Us on Facebook!
You're welcome also to follow along on our Facebook event page to hear more about our policy efforts, share your story, and connect with fellow advocates!
Julie M. Howell is a Grassroots Manager for the American Heart Association, engaging volunteers and staff in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi in public policy campaigns to build a world of healthier, longer lives.