Today, November 6, is National Healthy Eating Day. While we can take steps to eat healthy today, we can also support efforts to make those choices easier every day! The American Heart Association supports policy change that removes barriers for healthy eating. In addition to current state and federal policy efforts, the organization supports policy change through the Voices for Healthy Kids. This effort is a joint initiative of the American Heart Association and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, along with other partners, to support policy solutions. Funding is available for policy campaigns focused on:
- improving the nutritional quality of snack foods and beverages in schools;
- reducing consumption of sugary beverages;
- protecting children from unhealthy food and beverage marketing;
- increasing access to affordable healthy foods;
- increasing access to parks, playgrounds, walking paths, bike lanes and other opportunities to be physically active; and
- helping youth-serving programs increase children’s physical activity levels.
If you know of a community organization working in one of these areas, share information regarding the available funding. Together, we can improve the health of our communities!
And, of course, enjoy a healthy eating day. What healthy options will you make?