Between work, family, and other demands for time that we all have, it can be difficult to find time to be physically active. And as American Heart Association employees, we face these same challenges. In an effort to support our staff, each Spring the American Heart Association|American Stroke Association challenges its employees to get active with a variety of activities.
hero_image_alt_text===Photo of son learning to ride bicycle with father
thumbnail_alt_text===Photo of son learning to ride bicycle with father
As part of the “Healthy For Good” campaign, we received a list of daily tips to help us move more. With it, they reminded us that while not everyone has time to spend an hour at the gym, each of us can take little steps here and there that will make for big gains in the future. Here is a list of some tips they shared to remind us #WeAreHeart:
- Park and go – rather than find the closest parking spot possible, take one of the empty ones a little farther away to get a few more steps in.
- Take the Stairs – Tired of waiting for the elevator to hit every floor before it finally makes it to you? Spend that time taking the stairs instead. Chances are you’ll actually get there sooner than if you’d waited!
- Go mobile – Catching up on phone calls or stuck on a conference call? Get up from the desk and take the call with you while you walk around the block. Bonus tip: Take a small trash bag with you and pick up some litter while you’re walking. *And don’t forget to be safe and be aware of your surroundings.
- Fitness first – Shake up your family’s after-school/after-work routine. Join your kids for a bike ride or shoot some hoops before starting on homework and chores. You’ll all feel better and think better!
- Put a little green on your thumb – Spring is right around the corner and those sun breaks we have been having need to be taken advantage of! Take some time to mow the lawn, plant a few flowers, or even *gasp* pull a few weeds!
- Be an active parent – Experts say that what kids want more than anything else is time with their parents. To give them that, don’t just send them out to play – go play with them!
Share with us what make you part of the #WeAreHeart team. Tag us on social media with your favorite activities for staying active! After all, “You’re the Cure” for heart disease and stroke.