The Florida legislative session has been moving at a fast pace for the American Heart Association, and will be picking up speed as the end of session quickly approaches on May 5th.
Here is an update on our top three issues at the state capitol:
- Healthy Corner Stores: Will assist small food retailers in retrofitting their stores so they can offer a selection of fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. Learn more at www.yourethecure.org/florida_healthy_corner_stores.
- SB 1592, sponsored by Sen. Aaron Bean. The bill passed the Senate Agriculture Committee and the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Environmental and Natural Resources. It is now in the Senate Appropriations Committee. SB 1592 is co-sponsored by Sen. Dennis Baxley.
- HB 1083, sponsored by Rep. Larry Lee, Jr. The bill passed the House Agriculture & Property Rights Subcommittee. It has not been heard by the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee, which means, barring a miracle, the issue will not become law this year. HB 1083 is co-sponsored by Rep. Tom Goodson, Rep. Cyndi Stevenson, Rep. Scott. Plakon and Rep. Bobby Payne.
2. Open Playgrounds/Shared Use: Will permit school boards to make shared use agreements that open school recreational facilities during non-school hours. Learn more at www.yourethecure.org/florida_open_playgrounds.
- SB 984, sponsored by Sen. Aaron Bean. The bill passed the Senate Education Committee and the Senate PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee. It is now in the Senate Appropriations Committee. SB 984 is co-sponsored by Sen. Dennis Baxley, Sen. Jeff Brandes, Sen Doug Broxson, Sen Debbie Mayfield and Sen. Rene Garcia.
- HB 1131, sponsored by Rep. Brad Drake. The bill passed the House Pre-K-12 Innovation Subcommittee and the House Pre-K-12 Appropriations Subcommittee. It is now ready for Floor action before the full House of Representatives. HB 1131 is co-sponsored by Reps Danny Burgess, Cord Byrd, Jason Fischer, Tom Goodson, Amber Mariano, Cyndi Stevenson, Bobby Payne and Jay Trumbull.
3. Improving Stroke Care for All Floridians: Will secure funding for the University of Miami's stroke registry, create a new tier of stroke treatment facility known as an "acute stroke ready hospital" (ASRH), and ensure that data reported to the registry is consistent from hospital to hospital. Learn more at www.yourethecure.org/florida_stroke_care.
- SB 1406, sponsored by Sen. Bobby Powell. The bill passed the Senate Health Policy Committee and the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services. It is now in the Senate Appropriations Committee. SB 1406 is co-sponsored by Sen. Kathleen Passidomo and Sen. Dennis Baxley.
- HB 785, sponsored by Rep. MaryLynn Magar. The bill unanimously passed the House Health Quality Subcommittee, House Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee, the House Health and Human Services Committee and the full House. It is co-sponsored by Reps. Bruce Antone, Halsey Beshears, Neil Combee, Katie Edwards, Heather Fitzenhagen, Tom Goodson, Don Hahnfeldt, Gayle Harrell, Evan Jenne, Sam Killebrew, Ralph Massullo, M.D., Amy Mercado, Bobby Payne, David Santiago, David Silvers, Ross Spano, Cyndi Stevenson, Clovis Watson, Jr., and Clay Yarborough.