Idaho’s teens and young adults are tired of being the targets of big tobacco. That’s why the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association is working with our state partners to raise the legal sales age of tobacco to 21.
hero_image_alt_text===A picture of the words tobacco to 21 over the state of Idaho
thumbnail_alt_text===A picture of the words tobacco to 21 over the state of Idaho
We want this to be the first generation to eliminate smoking and stop the tobacco industry from making a profit off the health of our youth. But we need your help to spread the message about Tobacco 21 and show others that Idaho’s youth supports raising the age for a healthier future.
Every year 1,400 Idaho youth become new regular daily smokers and 1/3 of them will die prematurely due to this addiction. Across the state of Idaho, a startling 55.9 percent of high school students have tried e-cigarettes at least once and 25 percent used such products regularly, according to a 2015 survey from the Idaho Department of Education. The tobacco industry advertises to and preys on teens to make a profit. Raising the tobacco sale age to 21 will help keep tobacco and e-cigarettes out of high schools and young users’ hands. With 95 percent of smokers starting before the age of 21, Idaho is not alone in the fight to raise the tobacco sale age to promote the general health and welfare of our young people.
The Tobacco 21 Idaho Coalition is working to prevent the easy access of tobacco products to minors and persons under the age of 21 in order to avoid the life-threatening risks of tobacco. To stay informed of news and updates happening around Tobacco 21 Idaho Campaign and learn how you can take action in the near future, please help us spread the message via one of the ways below:
Like or follow Tobacco 21 Idaho on social media
- Facebook – www.facebook.com/tobacco21idaho
- Twitter – www.twitter.com//tobacco21idaho
- Instagram – www.instagram.com/tobacco21idaho
- Like and share Tobacco 21 Idaho’s posts on social media that resonate with you
- Share Tobacco 21 information, including social media channels, the website, and other collateral, with student peers and community groups
Share Your Story
We’re looking for stories from Idaho teens to highlight the real-world impacts of tobacco
and the reasons why they support raising the tobacco sale age. If you have a story about how tobacco has impacted you, your family or your friends, and are willing to share it, please let us know. Stories and information can be shared with Liz Hall, community engagement manager at American Lung Association in Idaho via email at [email protected]
Other Ways to Share Your Story
- Record a video testimonial, including your name and school or town, telling your friends and family why you support Tobacco 21 and share it
- If you’d like to submit your content to be shared on Tobacco 21 Idaho’s official social media channels, please send your videos or photos to [email protected]
Let Local Lawmakers Hear & See Your Support
- Join us for Idaho Youth Lobby Day on Thursday, February 1, 2018, for information contact mailto:[email protected]
- Gather signatures from your peers and adults to show support for Tobacco 21 in your community.
- Write a letter to the editor at your local newspaper outlining why you think Tobacco 21 is right for your community and Idaho.