The American Heart Association is seeking an Advocacy Intern to work in our Oklahoma City office. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
American Heart Association – Oklahoma City Office
Advocacy Intern Job Description
Functional Title: Advocacy Intern
Term of Internship: Spring 2017 (unpaid)
Location: American Heart Association, 3401 NW 63rd St #200, Oklahoma City, OK 73116
Reports to: Government Relations Director/Affiliate Grassroots Director
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Assists in legislative, policy research and grassroots work. Shadow staff serving as liaison between the American Heart Association and governmental / legislative entities and advocates. May plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of volunteers. Daily work and duties would be done with minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Daily tasks would include:
- Analyzing tracking reports;
- Monitoring committee hearings (online & in person);
- Attending meetings;
- Assisting with tracking news articles in local papers;
- Attending meetings & press conferences on AHA issues;
- Conducting and analyzing political research on our policy issues
- Assist in recruiting volunteers for our You’re The Cure network
- Assisting with blog and social media content
- Assisting with Advocating for Heart Days.
Experience and Education
Experience working with federal advocacy, state legislative, or local government activities is preferred but not required. Volunteer management experience preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the federal and state legislative process, regulatory process and state and local government administration.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Skill in compiling, evaluating, and presenting legislative information, in problem-solving, and in policy analysis and research.
- Ability to participate in meetings, work in a team environment and interact with all levels of AHA staff, volunteers and public.
TO APPLY please send resume to [email protected]
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter