Thanks to the actions of advocates like yourself, our CPR in schools bill, House Bill 2594, passed out of the House Education Committee with flying colors! The next step in the legislative process is for HB 2594 to be heard in the House Rules Committee.
Unfortunately, the House Rules Committee Chari, Representative Stevens, has not made CPR in Schools a priority yet and has not put HB 2594 on the agenda.
Please take a moment to call Representative Stevens and urge him to hear HB 2594 in committee without delay! Representative Stevens can be reached at 602-926-4321 and you will likely reach his wonderful staff or a voicemail so the call will only take a moment!
Key talking points are as follows:
- Sudden cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death, with over 5,000 incidents per year in Arizona.
- 4 out of 5 Sudden Cardiac Arrests happen in the home and the life that is saved with CPR is most likely to be a loved one.
- Hands-Only CPR takes 2 steps: 1) Call 9-1-1 and 2) Push hard and fast in the center of the chest to the beat of ”Stayin’ Alive”
- Hands-Only CPR is equally as effective as conventional CPR in treating sudden cardiac arrest victims.
- I respectfully urge Representative Stevens to hear HB 2594 and place it on the Rules Committee agenda without delay!
Your support truly will go a long way towards making Arizona a safer state. If you have questions, or would like help customizing your testimony, please email Nicole Olmstead at Nicole.Olmstead@heart.org.