Ron Edwards, Alabama

I’m a proud husband and father of four children.  At the age of 48, I had very few health problems until I went to work on May 3, 2012.

That morning around 7:15 am, I suffered a stroke.  I could barely speak.  Somehow, I told a co-worker I was having a stroke and to get me an ambulance.  I knew what was happening and I was scared.  I was very coherent and could hear all the chaos and everyone talking. 


The responders quickly took me to the hospital and everyone worked under my assumption that I was having a stroke.  I didn’t felt pain at any given time.  As I lied in the hospital, I could tell I was rapidly getting worse each hour.  I couldn’t remember simple things anymore.  Even my sister-in-law could tell I was getting worse.

I remember the hospital setting up a video conference with a doctor in another hospital in Huntsville, who analyzed me on TV.  He offered a treatment plan to my wife, letting her know she only had seconds to answer about something that could have killed me.  But they made it clear that there is only a 3 hour window for this medicine for stroke patients to survive the stroke.  We only had 30 minutes left before my window closed.

I clearly remember the nurse filling out the consent form after my wife approved it, asking me if I wanted to sign it.  Believe it or not, I took the clipboard from them and signed my name just as clear as any other day.  I tell my wife that took the heat off her if anything went wrong.  However by 10:15 am that morning, God answered our call!  I was administered the medicine and within 45 minutes, my speech returned to normal and I had no visible signs of having a stroke.

After an hour or so I was joking around with everyone, but as I constantly remember the whole morning I get very upset.  My mother had a stroke when I was 10 years old.  She became paralyzed and couldn’t speak for the rest of her life; I really thought that was going to happen to me.

Fortunately, that’s not how my story ends.  I returned to work eleven days after my stroke.  I enjoy life with my wife and children.  My story truly reveals the importance of recognizing the signs of a stroke, to call 9-1-1 immediately, and how important that three hour window is for stroke patients. When it comes to stroke, time is of the essence!

Share This Story

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.