While Marvel’s Avengers will be assembling this week to take on the greatest threat to their Universe, our Advocacy Avengers know that the greatest threat to mankind isn’t an intergalactic alien but Heart Disease and Stroke – the #1 and #2 causes of death in the WORLD!!!
That’s why we here at the American Heart Association|American Stroke Association are so passionate about our cause! Heart Disease and Stroke simply take too many from us too soon!
hero_image_alt_text===Large Capitol A with the words the advocates below
thumbnail_alt_text===Large Capitol A with the words the advocates below
Each May is recognized as Stroke Month here in Utah and across the U.S. This gives us an opportunity to help others understand an issue that is close to all too many of us – Stroke. As we have shared in the past, Stroke in the fourth leading cause of death in Utah – but it doesn’t have to be! With your support we have improved the systems of care in Utah for how stroke patients are treated in our local hospitals. We even took a bold step forward to improving care across the state with our important Stroke and Cardiac Data Registry legislation passed and signed into law just this past month.
One of the things that we have also seen real movement on is the recognition of stroke signs in the community. FAST, can you name them?
- Face droopiness, numbness and weakness
- Arm numbness and weakness
- Slurred speech or trouble speaking or understanding
- Time to call 911 if these or other symptoms occur
More and more Utahns are becoming aware of these signs and acting accordingly when they seem them in themselves or others. But more can be done. Nationally, nearly one third of all Americans don’t know any of the signs! So, to celebrate our successes, familiarize ourselves with proven stroke prevention, educate the public on FAST signs – and have a little fun – we have been partnering with University of Utah Health Care in our “Together to End Stroke” community education program.
We are hosting several events in Salt Lake this month in hopes of helping people learn FAST signs and create “Stroke Heroes” among us!
- CycleNation, May 19th, 1:00 – 3:30 pm @ Rebel Cycle (320 W 200 S, Salt Lake City)
- The American Heart Association | American Stroke Association is very excited to announce our first ever Cycling event here in Utah! Join us for a high-energy, endorphin-pumping ride on stationary bikes to benefit the American Heart Association: cyclenation.org/studio (From the link: click "Register Now" and select Utah from the drop-down).
- Savings Strokes – June 15th, 10:00 – 1:00 pm at Nibley Park Golf Course (2780 S 700 E, Salt Lake City)
- A free opportunity for stroke survivors and their caretakers to participate in golf for pleasure as well as for physical rehabilitation! This year’s event is sponsored by University of Utah Health Care and will feature a free lunch for participants.
If you would like more information on these events or would like to help volunteer to help us out please contact Markel Martinez with the AHA|ASA at Markel.Martinez@heart.org!
Together our mighty Advocacy Avengers will defeat Heart Disease and Stroke – here at home and across the galaxy! After all, You’re the Cure!