As 2017 draws to a close, I find myself reflecting on the incredible impact we’ve made this year. Thanks to tireless, dedicated and passionate You’re the Cure advocates, communities across the country have put in place policies that are helping people lead healthier lives.
- Millions of people are able to get active on improved walking and biking trails thanks to state and local funding secured by You’re the Cure advocates.
- Some states and communities have raised the minimum age to purchase tobacco to 21, reducing the likelihood young people will become addicted to the deadly products in the first place.
- More communities are covered by comprehensive smoke-free policies, protecting their citizens from the dangers of second-hand smoke.
- More newborns are being screened for critical congenital heart defects thanks to state policies requiring a pulse oximetry test before they leave the hospital.
- Our cities and towns are filled with more trained lifesavers thanks to policies requiring high school students be trained in CPR before graduation.
- Kids are getting a healthier start in states that have passed healthy public policies for their early care and education facilities.
You’re the Cure advocates have also been working to ensure access to healthier food options, the best heart and stroke care for patients, and so much more.
It would be impossible to list every public policy success in this brief blog post, but it’s clear we have a lot to celebrate as we wrap up 2017. You are making a difference in so many lives!
I’m wishing you a warm and wonderful holiday season, and looking forward to all we’ll accomplish together in the new year.
What do you hope we accomplish in 2018? What are you most excited about tackling in your community or state? Drop a comment below to let me know!